The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, July 20, 2007

Friday Five: Looking Back, Looking Forward

Sally from the RevGalBlogPals posts this as today's F5:

"When I began work here at Downham Market a wise friend told me that after one year I would see a few changes and sense God at work- years two and three would cause me to question and to wonder why I had chosen to accept the post here and in year four I might see the beginnings of something new. And so with that in mind alongside yesterdays celebrations I bring you Friday 5, Looking Back, Looking Forward..."

1. Share a moment/ time of real encouragement in your journey of faith
Um, I'm blanking on that a bit right now ... but I do remember a revelatory dream I had once. I dreamt that I was like a small child being pushed/guided by unseen along a particular path. There were hands on my shoulders and the Person guiding me was standing behind me, directing my steps. It was a very timely dream, because it was a time in my life when I had no clarity about where I was going, and I couldn't necessarily "see" God's hand at work or readily sense God's presence.

2. Do you have a current vision / dream for your work/ family/ministry?
Yeah, but it remains rather nebulous right now. I'm having to go back to square one in some ways ... a la that quote from Rob Bell in Velvet Elvis regarding his own soul and "SuperPastor": "Your job is the relentless pursuit of who God has made you to be. And anything else you do is sin and you need to repent of it." So I'm rethinking many of my assumptions regarding who I think God intends me to be ... and seeking Sophia on that, I guess. Boy, does that sound like a book title or the headline for a personal ad --"Desperately Seeking Sophia"?
Sunday sermon freebie: maybe Mary is in the same boat as I am...?

3. Money is no object and so you will.....
Definitely go back to school. After a Sabbatical.

4. How do you see your way through the disappointments? What keeps you going?
I keep remembering what I think is the most radical faith statement in the entire Bible. Job says, speaking of God, "Even though he slay me, I will trust in him." I believe that God desires what is best for me and that nothing --NOTHING-- can ultimately separate me from Her love and her purpose for me. If it is true for me, it is true for anyone and everyone ... my role is to yield myself to that Spirit that is at work in me --in us-- to bring about God's Realm.
I also remember my "balcony people", my personal "cloud of witnesses" that surround me, and tell myself their stories over and over again ...

5. How important are your roots? I think my balcony people are like my roots --see answer for #4.

6. Bonus= what would you like to add ? Doing this F5 on a day when I am so busy doing other things --preparing worship, being somewhat attentive to DH's two sisters who are houseguests this week-- I think may be like Mary's seeking the better part ... or am I just rationalizing?

2 Comments:

  • At 12:27 PM , Blogger Magdalene6127 said...

    The quote from Job about knocked my socks off. Thanks, Dona. Really powerful stuff.

    Peace,

    Mags

     
  • At 12:30 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    so glad you took time out to do F5 interestingly that is the refresh key on our computers!!!

    Good thoughts here, peace and blessings

    sALLY :-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home