The Quixotic Pastor

Thursday, November 29, 2007

It's Advent In More Ways Than One

This year, the season of Advent resonates more with my personal experience than it usually does. My life and the church calendar are travelling a parallel path more closely than usual for me this December.

With the conclusion of Lectionary Year C 2006-2007 last Sunday, I also concluded ministry at one of the two churches I have served as Pastor for nearly seven years. I have no real clue as to what is actually coming next. I am watching and waiting and discerning to see what God has in store for me next. [Watching, waiting, discerning --Advent themes abounding here in the life of Rev. Dona Quixote.]

I am hoping [Hope -- Look! another Advent word!] to find part-time secular employment that will allow me to continue my ministry with my remaining church. I am preparing [Prepare --isn't that another Advent-y sort of word?] financially to go back to school in about 2-3 years and pick up a second masters degree, an MSW ... so I can become an LCSW ... a pastoral counselor with an LCSW. I'm thinking a second concentration in community organizing so as a pastor I can help a congregation "live the way we pray" [from the Brian Wren hymn text, "I come with joy a child of God"] and engage in peace and justice-making. [A flurry of Advent words there, yes? Just like the flying snow framed in the window of my office upstairs.]

But who knows what God may be up to ... and the revelation of God's purpose for me may come suddenly, without warning, like a thief in the night. All I can do is be ready. For anything. Awake. Aware.

Advent --it is Advent, the Spirit whispers in my heart of hearts.
Advent --it is Advent. Watch, wait, look, listen --behold!
A new thing, a new thing will I do.
Soon what is dark will be light,
What is clouded will be clear,
What is empty, filled.
Wombs and tombs will bring forth surprises
For those with eyes to see and ears to hear.
Advent --it is Advent.
Breathe.

4 Comments:

  • At 7:05 PM , Blogger Cecilia said...

    If I say, “Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light around me become night,”

    even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is as bright as the day, for darkness is as light to you.

    Blessings, Beth. And Peace. And all the wondrous revealing of Advent.

     
  • At 7:55 AM , Blogger LutheranChik said...

    Sounds like we're both in a state of vocational flux. Peace to you on your new journey. Hey -- my pastor got an MSW and spent some time both doing counseling full time and then "moonlighting" for a couple of days in the city while pastoring a rural congregation. From what he's said, it sounds like a great, synergistic combination of disciplines.

     
  • At 2:17 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Beth, all God's blessings as you discern the path ahead. Thank you for the beautiful reflection on Advent themes.

     
  • At 3:35 AM , Blogger St. Casserole said...

    You are living Advent this year with dreams and hopes and new starts all in front of you. Blessings to you as you end one ministry to take on another.

    The LCSW degree is a useful one! I've pondered about doing this study, too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home