The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, February 02, 2007

Friday Five: ch-ch-ch-ch-changes

Many of the RevGals using Blogger are experiencing some chaos this week as they move from Old Blogger to New Blogger. (Is that anything like New Coke?)

Change is a given in life, yet it's not easy for any of us. So strap on your seat belts and let's talk about it:

1. Share, if you wish, the biggest change you experienced this past year. DH is out of graduate school and navigating the minefields of building a new and different career. This means I no longer have to proof read her papers, and instead of conversing about her student peers and her profs, we're conversing about her coworkers, supervisors, etc etc etc. It also means our income has doubled, and we have much more than a snowball's chance in Hell of paying off our debts --I hope. :D [PS Don't tell my creditors I said that! Shhhhhh ...]

2. Talk about a time you changed your mind about something, important or not. I always swore I'd never have a dog. Dogs are high-maintenance. Cats are low-maintenance. So a friend of mine convinced me that, since I had a backyard, I needed a dog and she had just found the perfect one for me, one she couldn't take in since she already had 6 or 7 ... I have changed my mind. Both dogs and cats are high-maintenance, just in different kinds of ways. And I love them both.

3. Bishop John Shelby Spong wrote a controversial book called "Why Christianity Must Change or Die." Setting aside his ideas--what kind of changes would you like to see in the Church? How about full inclusion for women? Full inclusion for GLBT persons? How about faith communities that are truly cross-cultural? More churches that are as vocal about peace, poverty and ecology as they are about other social issues?

4. Have you changed your hairstyle/hair color in the last five years? If so, how many times? My hair color is changing alrighty ... but not necessarily by my choice. ;) It's turning silver from reddish brown, and I won't color it because I think the silver is pretty. My hair style is sometimes longer, sometimes shorter. When it comes to my hair, I'm lazy --I like it "wash and wear," just the way DH cuts it.
Oh wait ... I did color my hair once, from brownish red to red. I had just experienced a breakup, and was motivated by one of my favorite jokes ...

5. What WERE they thinking with that New Coke thing? I think New Coke [Faux Pepsi] was intentionally designed to motivate folks to recommit to Coke Classic ... if there's something being taken for granted, there's nothing like the "threat" of change to refocus attention on that something ... for better or worse.

12 Comments:

  • At 8:21 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I like your Coke theory!

     
  • At 8:30 AM , Blogger reverendmother said...

    I too have those same suspicions about New Coke.

     
  • At 8:34 AM , Blogger Mary Beth said...

    Yep, I consider myself a "Low maintenance" person when it comes to personal care stuff like hair color. Lazy is the other word for it. :)

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger revhipchick said...

    great play!

    congrats on the debt repayment--can't wait til we get to that point!

    amen and amen to all the rest!

     
  • At 9:03 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    Good answers!

    I've never had a dog either, for the same reason - they seem kind of high maintenance. Who knows, maybe one day?

     
  • At 9:18 AM , Blogger Rev. Maureen Frescott said...

    Hear! Hear! on number 3! As for number 2, I tend to think cats are lower maintenance.....yah I know pooper-scooping and cleaning the litter box are both chores and either way you're picking up crap, but at least with my cat I can do it in my underwear. ;-)

     
  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger Shawna Atteberry said...

    Great answers. I like wash and wear styles too.

     
  • At 10:18 AM , Blogger leah said...

    Wow, your answer to 5 is astonishing--gotta think about that one! Great play!

     
  • At 11:04 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    truly cross cultural faith communities- Lord hear our prayer...

    well played

     
  • At 2:26 PM , Blogger Cathy said...

    Interesting spin on the Coke thing - might be true!

     
  • At 3:34 PM , Blogger Terri said...

    Yup! I too became a dog lover after years of prefering cats, me after taking in a neighborhood stray and well, falling in love. (now I have two dogs and two cats...) And I too prefer the lazy-woman's approach to hair care - short and gray, wash and wear! Good play!

     
  • At 7:53 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Oh good play, and even a consipiracy theory about the New Coke.

    Hope you all are able to get out of debt. I know how that feels.
    I like that easy to take care of hair too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home