The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, June 01, 2007

Friday 5: Hopes, Visions and Dreams edition

Sally from the RGBPs posts this for our F5 this week:

My house has been full of young people all week, young people who have just left school, young people with an eye on the future. Their laughter energy, and hope are infectious, so with that in mind- this Friday 5 is about hopes, visions and dreams;

1. Think back to the time you left High School, what were your hopes visions and dreams for your life/ for the world?

It had been very strongly suggested to me that, since I had the math skills, I go to engineering school so I could make a lot of money and be very well off. Nevermind that I was gifted in music and drama and English lit... those things didn't pay.

TS Eliot said that one is never truly educated until she has mastered a subject she has no real interest in whatsoever --that's me and math!

Fortunately, God intervened ...

2. Have those hopes visions and dreams changed a lot, or are some of them still alive and kicking? (share one if you can)

When I graduated from high school in 1981, I was an Agnostic. If you had told me then that I was going to become a pastor or preacher, I would have laughed raucously in your face and asked you what your drug of choice du jour had been ...

3. Hebrews 11:1 " Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. " Comforting, challenging or frustrating?

Mostly comforting. Believing IS seeing ...

4. If resources were unlimited, and you had free reign to pursue a vision what would it be?

I would go back to graduate school and pursue ALL four of the additional degrees I'm trying to choose ONE among currently.

5. Finally with summer upon us- and not to make this too heavy- share your dream holiday....where, when and who with...

DH shared with me that, once she has her social worker's credentialing squared away, she love to go to the UK and spend a month there. I would too, actually.

11 Comments:

  • At 7:17 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    4 additional degrees???? wow that is a real dedication to learning- one is enough for me!!!

    great play btw

     
  • At 8:36 AM , Blogger Deb said...

    Hmmmm.... someone is cybersquatting on a misspelling of your URL! You MIGHT wanna fix your link!!!

    http://revdonaquixote.blogpsot.com/

    quite an interesting juxtaposition (great word for my last paper... sorry!!!)

    Anyway... I would have to agree with you on TS Eliot and math. :)

    d

     
  • At 9:33 AM , Blogger LadyBurg said...

    So what are the degrees you are interested in pursuing? That you have so many you are interested in is very exciting!

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Re #2: It's pretty amazing how God has plans for us that we have no idea about!

     
  • At 5:28 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Good grief Deb, I see what you mean

     
  • At 5:53 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Sally, I loved being in university, just loved it, so going back to school is a cherished dream. Of course, I haven't been to school in 17 years, yikes!

    Ladyburg, these are the four possibilities among which I am trying to choose:

    1. PhD in New Testament
    2. D Psych, which is like a doctor of Psychology, so I can do pastoral counseling
    3. MSW with a counseling concentration so I can hang out a shingle, collect from insurance and do Pastoral Counseling
    4. MSW with a community organizing concentration so I can be a "professional" activist

    The MSW [with a dual concen-
    tration?] is probably the way to go ... and if I can pick up a certification in Spiritual Direction it would be all the better still.

     
  • At 6:58 PM , Blogger Terri said...

    I did a dual degree M.Div and MSW leading up to ordination. I think either the MSW or D. Psych are good ideas. But, as you probably realize, if you want to mix pastoral with clinical psych the MSW is a good option, and will even work well if you want to add a degree or certification in spiritual direction.

    Wow.

    Best wishes in your discerning...and yes. take that trip following DH's completion of her hours - that is major! I have the MSW, but due to various diocesan "concerns" (sigh) about ministry and counseling I did not persue the licensing...I don't regret it, but neither do I have a LCSW....just an MSW...as a parish priest that's ok...I wish you well!!!

     
  • At 7:37 PM , Blogger Deb said...

    BTW
    ANYONE who has a blogspot blog ends up at this place. I tried mine with "blogpsot" and got there as well...

    I am not sure, but I think it was done by teh Clooney...

    :)
    d

     
  • At 8:26 PM , Blogger LadyBurg said...

    Fantastic! Any of those degrees would be very exciting. I love the idea of adding Spiritual Direction too. So, is this something you are seriously considering or just dreaming about? Sounds to me like there is a bit of a tug on the soul!

     
  • At 4:48 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Thanks Deb for that bit of reassurance regarding cyber-squatting. In some ways, I was as ticked off about that as having someone go through the contents of my car w/o my knowledge ... Damn teh Clooney anyhow --didn't we tire him out enough to prevent such mischief?

    Thank you also Mompriest for your helpful comments, and Ladyburg for your cyber-discernment. Yup, I am seriously considering moving in this direction ... just trying to figure out how to fund it.

     
  • At 4:56 PM , Blogger LadyBurg said...

    How about a little "help me go back to school" paypal thing on your blog? hee hee

    I do hope the funding will become available. Sounds sooo exciting.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home