The Quixotic Pastor

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Stunned By The Obvious

This afternoon while reading through the materials for our upcoming General Conference, there was a line in the Moderator's report which stunned me a bit, something to the effect of doing church like old mainline protestantism doesn't work ... and then it hit me like a brick.

My seminary education is 17 years old ... from an educational bastion of "old" mainline protestantism ... long before Len Sweet and others started writing, long before the emerging church started emerging.

I think I need a refresher course.

Oh I've had lots of continuing ed throughout the years, but nothing that has really prepared me for worship, faith and community in the internet age ... with gen X'ers coming to the fore and gen Y not far behind.

How much of my frustration as a pastor stems from a theological education that might have been out-of-date and out-of-touch at the time I was getting it?

1 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM , Blogger Tom in Ontario said...

    I've been out of seminary for 5 years but I think you'd find that most practical seminary courses are out-of-date and out-of-touch. It's a good place to learn theology but it's no trade school that can teach you the craft of pastoring.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home