The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, September 28, 2007

The Swan Song Friday Five

Reverendmother's timing for this particularly Friday Five is providential perhaps, as several folks I know are leaving one place to move on to another place. She writes:

Well friends, as I prepare for the birth of Bonus Baby, it's time to simplify life, step back from the Friday Five, and let one of the other capable and creative RevGals take the helm. It's been a great almost 17 months of co-hosting the F5, but it's time to say goodbye... so here's my swan song.


On Endings and Goodbyes:

1. Best ending of a movie/book/TV show
The final scene of the movie "Places In The Heart", with everybody receiving communion, everybody passing the plates of bread and cups --including two key folks in the movie that die within the first five minutes of it. My description does not do the scene justice --it's one of the best cinematic depictions of the Kindom of God I have ever seen. I always cry when I see it; I always catch my breath.

I feel much the same way about the scene in Schindler's List when the Schindler Jews climb the hill in black and white --and their descendents crest the hill in color.

2. Worst ending of a movie/book/TV show
DH and I remember leaving the theatre after seeing "War Of The Worlds" thinking to ourselves, "that was way too improbable and sudden."

3. Tell about a memorable goodbye you've experienced.
Leaving my family [and so much else belovedly familiar] in Texas to come with my partner to Michigan was very memorable. Although I suppose that was much more of a "goodbye for now." Leaving the UMC for the MCC was pretty memorable too --I think I still have noticeable scars from that.

4. Is it true that "all good things must come to an end"?
Not if one allows for the possibility of and accepts change.

5. "Everything I ever let go of has claw marks on it." --Anne Lamott
Discuss.
Well ... not everything. One of the reoccurring life-metaphors I experience is that of cliff-diving. Sometimes I have jumped off the cliff --no claw marks there. Other times, someone has pushed me --that usually features claw marks.

Bonus: "It isn't over until the fat lady sings." I've never loved this expression. So propose an alternative: "It isn't over until ____________________"

Everybody gets to dance.

5 Comments:

  • At 9:32 AM , Blogger will smama said...

    I am adding 'Places in the Heart' to my queue. thank you!

     
  • At 10:50 AM , Blogger Jan said...

    You gave really thoughtful answers. Thank you. Switching churches is hard.

     
  • At 2:08 PM , Blogger Terri said...

    Oh, I agree with you about Places in the Heart. Yes, a great scene.

    And a metaphor for life - jumping off or being pushed off a cliff - yikes. Makes me think of that movie with Ann Heche and Harrison Ford (Name I cannot recall). They are being chased by modern day pirates and come to a cliff. She says. No, you jump, I'll just stay here and be killed. (That would be me). Instead he pushes her and then jumps himself...So I guess in some situations you're Ann Heche and in others you're Harrison Ford?

     
  • At 2:17 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Better Harrison Ford or Ann Hecht than a lemming ;)

    It's probably more accurate to say that "to jump or not to jump over the cliff" is a reoccurring life theme for me instead of a metaphor

     
  • At 6:23 PM , Blogger Diane M. Roth said...

    yes, I like "places in the heart' too. used it in a sermon recently. (last scene, too). and I like your claw marks answer, whether you jump or are pushed.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home