The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, November 30, 2007

RevGalBlogPals Friday 5: Don't Call It A Comeback Edition

Will Smama, dropping by for a brief return stint as contributer, invites us to explore the shadow side of this holiday season:

Parishioners pushing for carols before you digested your turkey?
Organist refusing to play Advent hymns because he/she already has them planned for Lessons & Carols?
Find yourself reading Luke and thinking of a variety of ways to tell Linus where to stick it? (Lights please.)
Then this quick and easy Friday Five is for you! And for those of you with a more positive attitude, have no fear. I am sure more sacred and reverent Friday Fives will follow.

Please tell us your least favorite/most annoying seasonal....
1) dessert/cookie/family food

Potato salad. I realize I am very much in the minority on this, but I got hoping-to-die-sick from eating the stuff once and I can't even think about consuming it. In fact, it's difficult to be in the same house while it is being prepared.
2) beverage (seasonal beer, eggnog w/ way too much egg and not enough nog, etc...) Once upon a time, my beloved Dad brought home some Cold Duck to toast in the Christmas holiday. I remember it tasted very nasty. The next year, he brought home Manischevitz. Oy vey!
3) tradition (church, family, other) Drinking weird stuff on Christmas. Christmas shopping at the mall. Any mall.
4) decoration. Icicles. The thin, narrow aluminum foil kind that my sister would insist had to be carefully placed one at a time on each tree limb. [My brothers and I liked to throw them at the tree a la Jackson Pollack.] The kind that you can't vacuum off the carpet.
5) gift (received or given) I can't be grumpy about this, because I can't think of a single inappropriate gift that I have ever received ... although there was the Christmas that someone gave me influenza. I was a very, very sick puppy for nearly two weeks!
BONUS: SONG/CD that makes you want to tell the elves where to stick it. Almost anything played on a non-NPR local radio station this time of year.

6 Comments:

  • At 8:10 AM , Blogger Mary Beth said...

    I hear you about Malls! Uck.

     
  • At 8:46 AM , Blogger Soozi said...

    Having just recovered from a bought on salmonella (from a mission trip, no less!), I can empathize with your need to avoid potato salad!

     
  • At 3:03 PM , Blogger Processing Counselor said...

    My Jewish beloved loves her Manischevitz when she has the tiniest glass that she drinks half of and gets silly, then the rest of the bottle turns to vinegar-very sweet vinegar-in the fridge!

     
  • At 9:06 PM , Blogger Deb said...

    potato salad. Yeah. Not my fave either. Egg salad is right there. DEFINITELY tuna salad.

    we stopped doing tinsel once we discovered that cats like to eat it.
    Um. we found out "after the fact" if you get my drift.

    d

     
  • At 6:46 AM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Deb,

    That must have made cleaning the catboxes more festive than usual.

     
  • At 4:42 PM , Blogger Deb said...

    Deck the "cat box" was never one of my favorite carols, actually...

    d

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home