The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, February 09, 2007

It's Pouring Down The Drain Day

Here's the latest in my beer brewing antics.

I have to pour it down the drain. It's just too sour to drink, even when it is thoroughly chilled [which tends to cover up a lot of beer flavor sins. This fact is what allows us Texans to drink Pearl or Lone Star.] Once again, DH will return home from a hard day at the office to experience a faint whiff of eau de frat-house-on-Sunday-afternoon...

However, when I poured some out into a glass yesterday, it did form a foamy head, so the carbonation process worked to some degree. It seems to have worked better in the groelsch swing top bottles than the capped bottles, which probably means I need to be a little more agressive with the bottle capper.

That's lesson number one.

Lesson number two --spend a few extra bucks and get higher quality yeast since the sour flavor probably comes from wild, undomesticated yeasty beasties pillaging the home of well-behaved, upstanding citizen yeasty beasties. [Think Capitol One commercials here.] Spend a few extra bucks for better quality malt extract too. ["What's in yerrr wallet?"]

Lesson number three --make sure to get a full, raging boil with the wort for the full hour of brewing, instead of a minor temper tantrum. This means engaging in the risky practice of putting the lid on the brew pot, but my stove just doesn't have the BTU's necessary to bring 5 gallons of water and other stuff to a full boil.

Lesson number four --when racking the wort from the primary fermenter to the secondary fermenter, be sure and top off the beer to a full five gallons with fresh water.

Lesson number five --follow a recipe. Damn! I've never exactly followed a recipe in my entire life I don't think, even when attempting a dish for the very first time, except perhaps in the cooking unit of home-ec in 8th grade, when getting an "A" depended on it.

So at some point today, I'm off to Really Cool Beer, Wine and Cigar Store for more brewing supplies and possibly to swallow my pride and ask Beer Meister for assistance. I'm told he can diagnose most problems by taste....... but I like the guy and wouldn't want to poison him.

7 Comments:

  • At 11:45 AM , Blogger Deb said...

    Smile...

    I wrote about the problems of brewing that my BBS (beloved bearded spouse) inflicted on our house in December. So far, we don't know if it is potable or not. It is still chillin... You'll find it here!

    Them wild yeasts will getcha every time!

    deb

     
  • At 12:01 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Deb that is absolutely fabulous!

    I am no where near ready to mash grains ... I'm still at the very beginner malt extract stage.

    If it is still chillin, it sounds verily like thy beloved maketh a lager right well

     
  • At 5:09 PM , Blogger Rainbow Pastor said...

    disappointing!

    And if you need a taster next time, I will heroically volunteer....

     
  • At 5:47 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    RP dear,

    I don't want to poison you either ... :D

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger DogBlogger said...

    After reading your account of the effort, I am even more glad I had two mentors to guide me through my one-and-only batch of nut-brown ale last year. It was fun, but not enough fun for me to try at my own house, with my own equipment (I won the lesson at an auction for a good cause -- everybody thought I was bidding as a gift for my husband, who's not a beer drinker at all). See my custom label here.

     
  • At 4:21 PM , Blogger LadyBurg said...

    oh, I am sooo sorry! I guess greatness does take time. Still, I'm disappointed for you!

    Hope you will let us know how the next batch turns out.

     
  • At 4:47 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Dogblogger, I love your label. That is really cool. And it so happens that the latest batch I brewed yesterday is an English Style Brown Ale.

    When I get a successful batch, worth sharing, maybe I'll put my cat Pooter on the label. He has quite a beer-gut-like belly ... and he likes beer. I don't give it to him, mind you, but if you don't watch out, you'll catch him lapping in your glass. He really, really likes Bailey's Irish Cream ...

    Ah Lady Burg, as long as my beer brewing antics provide blog-fodder and the opportunity for humor, I'll be sharing about my experiences.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home