The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, July 27, 2007

Friday Five: Floods and Droughts

Sally of the RGBPs writes:


Here in the UK we are struggling with floods, other parts of the world have similar problems without the infrastructure to cope with it, still others are badly affected by drought.... My son Jon is in Melbourne Australia where apparently it has been snowing ( yes it is winter but still!).... With crazy weather in mind I bring you this weeks Friday 5...
1. Have you experienced living through an extreme weather event- what was it and how did you cope?

In Texas, I have been endangered by tornados and one near miss lightning strike, but I have never experienced a property loss or serious property damage. When I was in 2nd grade, a tornado warning was issued while we were at school, and the sky was a serious enough cauldron of blackish-green that they made us evacuate into the hallway, and kneel down in front of the lockers with our arms over our heads. I think we were out there about a half hour, maybe an hour, until the all clear sounded. Then we went to lunch like nothing happened.
I also weathered out a very dangerous storm under a highway overpass --which you ARE NOT supposed to do, but it was the best shelter we had at the time.
The lightning strike happened at my little lake house on Lake Lewisville --it struck a tree about 15 feet away from the propane tank and about 50 feet away from the house. All of the tree bark exploded off the tree, and every circuit breaker in the house flipped. That was unnerving. As soon as it stopped raining/thundering, I went out into the yard --the tree was still smoking!
Then there was the great ice storm in Dallas in 1979, but I wrote about that already here.

2. How important is it that we wake up to issues such as global warming?
I think it is very important that we remain aware of climate change and the role we potentially play. I think it is also more useful to think about "global weirding", that we might not always experience the effects of global warming as heat, but rather as the upsetting of the earth's equilibrium and how that impacts our total climate.
3. The Christian message needs to include stewardship of the earths resources agree/ disagree?
Agree. Not taking care of the earth and her resources because "Jesus is coming soon" [or because it costs money and jobs or whatever reason] makes about as much sense as not taking care of one's own body because you're going to heaven after you die ... I personally find it very challenging, however, to step off the copious consumption train, especially when it comes to my use of fossil fuels, but in other ways as well. I confess that I struggle with this.
And because it is summer- on a brighter note....
4. What is your favourite season and why?

Up here in the Land of God's Left Hand, my favorite season is Autumn, although Michigan summers are amazing. It's all about the folliage.
5. Describe your perfect vacation weather....
Temps in the 70's, cool breezes, low humidity, lots of sunshine

4 Comments:

  • At 8:45 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Thanks for playing F5- the whole creation/ salvation message is a tricky one to fathom out isn't it? I guess we need to find the right balance...

     
  • At 10:36 AM , Blogger Di said...

    I'm chuckling at #1, and taking shelter under the underpass, only because the things we are and aren't told to do in an emergency sometimes seem so absurd. (The '50s example of crouching under one's desk in case of atomic bombs comes to mind.)

     
  • At 10:39 AM , Blogger Lori said...

    Wow, lightening strikes!! That must have been surreal.

    I like the expression "global weirding". It can really apply to all kinds of environmental AND social issues, I think.

     
  • At 1:20 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Great analogy for #3.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home