The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, January 18, 2008

A Bookish Friday Five

RevHRod over at you don't have to listen. I just like to talk. posts this Friday Five about books:

1. What book have you read in the last six months that has really stayed with you? Why?
Lately, when I have wanted to read a book, I've read murder fiction, and strictly for fun. Nothing has really stayed with me --I think because I've got so much heavy stuff going on, I don't WANT what I read to stay with me.

2. What is one of your favorite childhood books?
I loved Jean George's My Side of the Mountain. And my love for A Wrinkle In Time has followed me well into adulthood ...

3. Do you have a favorite book of the Bible? Do tell! Luke is my favorite Gospel, James my favorite Epistle, Second Isaiah my favorite prophet, and Revelation my favorite "weird" book.

4. What is one book you could read again and again?

Just one? Surely you jest. I have read almost every book I own more than once.

5. Is there a book you would suggest for Lenten reading? What is it and why?

A Tree Full of Angels: Seeing The Holy In The Ordinary, by Sr. Macrina Wiederkehr OSB [did I spell that correctly?] Two of the themes of her book that stand out for me are: "Dust, remember that thou art splendour." [Think about that when you are about to impose ashes on someone's forehead --or someone is about to do that to you.] She also takes the story of the syro-phoenician woman, the one who says to Jesus, "Yes, Lord, but even the dogs eat the crumbs from under the Master's table," and relates it to what we might choose to do with the "crumbs" of our existence.

And because we all love bonus questions, if you were going to publish a book what would it be? Who would you want to write the jacket cover blurb expounding on your talent?

I'm passing on the bonus question this time around.

5 Comments:

  • At 2:50 PM , Blogger Auntie Knickers said...

    Oh yes, A Tree Full of Angels! I've been struck by how many of the RevGalBlogPals loved the same books I did, either as children or more recently. We all have such good taste in books! And don't feel bad about reading a lot of murder mysteries. Sometimes we just need to know that good will win and evil will be punished or at least stopped.

     
  • At 2:56 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    Thanks for the reminder about "A Tree full of Angels". Well played...

     
  • At 3:39 PM , Blogger RevHRod said...

    Loved the tidbit from your Lenten selection. I'll have to check that one out.

     
  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Y'know Auntie, I think that is the major portion of the appeal of the murder mystery for me. The rest of course is trying to figure out whodunnit

     
  • At 5:55 AM , Blogger Cecilia said...

    I like your biblical book categories: gospel, epistle, prophet and weird. Nice!

    Love Macrina as well.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home