The Quixotic Pastor

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

MIA and Wishing and Waiting

I feel like I'm missing-in-action!

First, I am waaaay behind on blogging, thanks to my 52 hour per week work schedule and a few family crises:

We carried Angel the Aussie in to the vet about two weeks ago and were told that she had fluid in her chest cavity [not the same as in her lungs] about which not much can be done. The vet said we could try lasik to see if we could get the fluid out and if that didn't work, we'd probably have to put her down. Good news --the lasik is working fabulously, but we do have to make sure she gets outside more to do her business. There's a very real possibility that some kind of cancer is involved --but there appears to be a lot of life left in the ol' girl yet.

The period of unseasonably warm weather here in Michigan meant time to do various springtime chores --replace the storm windows with screens [otherwise we would have baked in our house] rake the leaves out of the front flowerbeds so the perennials coming back could be healthy, prune the trees before the leaves come and the drop off the branches at the lawn debris place and so forth.

Then Sunday before last, DH had to make a flying trip down to Pontiac to take her mom to the hospital --Pistol [that is DH's mom's blog name] sure enough had pneumonia. This coincided with a very difficult and stressful work week for DH so I made several trips after work in the evenings to tag team with DH visiting her mom and checking up on her, which made for some pretty long days.

While Pistol was in the hospital, she received word that her last surviving sibling and favorite brother had died from the effects of Alzheimers.

Our oldest cat, Corky the Crazy Calico, 17 years old, is having grave difficulty walking [she walks like a drunken sailor on a 3-day leave] and we're debating whether her time has come or not. On the other hand, she can still leap up on the bed, the chair, the couch. She doesn't appear to be in pain, one of her back legs just seems to not work the way it is supposed to.

But I also feel like I'm MIA because I don't have the time or the freedom to be the activist I once was.

While I am very grateful to have the job I do have right now, because I need the paycheck and because the state of the economy scares me, and this company wants to hire me on their payroll as opposed to the temp agency's [in fact one of the things I had to do last week was complete an application online], I really don't like the work. It is quite boring. And I am not convinced I fit in very well here.

I am suddenly feeling very lonely these days.

So I am on the lookout for other possibilities ...

I do not like having to choose between living and making a living.

But that's a choice my congregants often have to make as well, especially in these economic times.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home