The Quixotic Pastor

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Corporate USA

This past Monday, I began a temp assignment at one of the best known insurance companies here in our region and most especially in the Land of God's Right and Left Hands.

It has been just over 7 years since I last worked at all in Corporate America ... but I guess it is kind of like riding a bicycle. There's always new computer software to learn, always clothing and other guidelines to navigate, a cubie to personalize to some degree or not, jargon/lingo to master.

For me and others like me, there's always the added questions to consider --come out or not? Tell the truth about how I spent my weekend or not, especially as sexual orientation is not one of the protected categories on this companies' diversity/non-discrimination statement [and it would probably be a very cold day in Hell before it was included, unless the state makes it a mandatory thing.]

But this is not a particularly chatty working group, because the work we are doing is so detailed and requires one's full attention, so, thus far, no one has asked and I have not offered much information. But I am prepared to do so when it is appropriate.

A new issue for me is whether or not to come out as a pastor or not ... but I'll write more about that later --my lunch break is almost over, and I need to go call DH, who is really missing not having me work from home.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:31 PM , Blogger Tom in Ontario said...

    I don't know if you're into the ‘meme' thing. I was tagged and sometimes I'm a "follow the rules" kind of guy and number 5 says "Tag five other people" and you're one of the five blogs I read who hasn't already done this meme. So here it is. Do with it what you will.

    1. Pick up the nearest book (of at least 123 pages).
    2. Open the book to page 123.
    3. Find the fifth sentence.
    4. Post the next three sentences.
    5. Tag five other people.

     
  • At 7:08 AM , Blogger Tom in Ontario said...

    Not protected?!?

    The Ontario Human Rights Code protects the rights of people regardless of gender, creed, race, ancestry, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, age, record of offences, marital status, sexual orientation, economic status, family status, or disability.

     
  • At 5:43 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Well Tom, that's why some of us have been tempted from time to time to save up the necessary money for the fees, cross the border, and become Canadian citizens.

    Does "gender" as it appears in the Ontario Human Rights Code protect transgender and intersexed persons ...? Just curious how that is understood in Canada.

     
  • At 8:41 AM , Blogger Tom in Ontario said...

    Don't know.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home