The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, December 22, 2006

Festive Foods Friday Five

Well friends, we've covered advent, music, and movies/TV--but we here at F5 HQ would be remiss if we did not acknowledge that quintessential holiday topic... fooooooooood.

1. Favorite cookie/candy/baked good without which, it's just not Christmas.

My mother's fudge recipe, the old fashion one you test with a bowl of water to see if it is at the soft ball stage. I hope my sister sends me some, even though I dwell in the land of fudge --it is just not the same. Maybe she'll send me some divinity too?

2. Do you do a fancy dinner on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, both, or neither? (Optional: with whom will you gather around the table this year?)

I wouldn't exactly call it fancy, although this year we will have cloth napkins. Christmas Day, definitely not Christmas Eve, which is just TOOOOOO busy for cooking. Relatively simple meal so far for DH, her mom and I. A few strays are always welcome.

3. Evaluate one or more of the holiday beverage trifecta: hot chocolate, wassail, egg nog.

Although I love hot chocolate, I think it's too ordinary for Christmas. Wassail --which I define as any mulled fruity liquid-- and Egg Nog are much more festive. I have been sort of toying with the idea of making some home-made egg nog. I had some mulled red wine the other night. Yummy.

4. Candy canes: do you like all the new-fangled flavors or are you a peppermint purist?

If I'm going to consume a candy cane, I prefer it be minty, though not necessarily peppermint. Does anyone remember when the Lifesavers people used to put out those Christmas Book collection of candies? I would keep all the minty ones and trade the others for something else.

5. Have you ever actually had figgy pudding? And is it really so good that people will refuse to leave until they are served it?

Nope. But I appreciate the shared experiences of the others about it. I now understand it's attraction.
However, I much prefer a fruitcake, well-soaked in bourbon or rum, wrapped in cheesecloth soaked in the same. You can get high on its fumes! And eating it will necessitate a breathalizer test should one be silly enough to drive after eating a piece.

Edited to add: Well, I am APPALLED with myself that I forgot to include a question about the crown prince of holiday foods--the fruitcake.Feel free to add your thoughts on this most polarizing holiday confection.As always, let us know in the comments if you play. And a handmade buttermilk praline from the reverendhousehold to all those to link directly:what you want the link to say goes hereFor a complete how-to, click here.And finally--may Christ be born anew in your hearts this Christmas.Merry Christmas!!!!

5 Comments:

  • At 11:10 AM , Blogger Rainbow Pastor said...

    Your fruitcake sounds exactly like my mom's--see my blog at http://rainbowpastor.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 2:02 PM , Blogger leah said...

    Oh, I adore anything soaked in bourbon or simply straight bourbon (Southern-born that I am...)--how ever could I have forgotten! Great list!

     
  • At 3:12 PM , Blogger Deb said...

    I think that fruitcake is only edible if well-soused (the cake, not the eater...)

    Have a very MERRY Christmas!
    Deb

     
  • At 6:25 PM , Blogger LadyBurg said...

    I've finally got time to float around and read blogs this evening. I'm with you on the mulled wine. Very yummy. And I'm with deb on the fruitcake!

    I also grew up in Texas - El Paso. Do you admit where you lived?

     
  • At 6:08 AM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    TheoTap,

    I grew up in big D, which I admit willingly. Thankfully no one asks me about JR Ewing anymore --wish they'd named that show "Houston" or "Fort Worth".

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home