The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, February 09, 2007

Friday Five: American Idol

Songbird, RGBP of notable repute, has a true confession:

"Yes, it's true. I've been watching Season Six of American Idol with my daughter, our first time dipping into this particular well of pop culture."

I don't watch American Idol, but I'll play the Idol-inspired Friday Five:

In the spirit of believing you can do anything, as the auditioners so clearly do, please fill in the following five blanks.

1) If I could sing like anyone, it would be ________. Probably Judy Collins, who is one of my favorite singers. Next I would choose Cynthia Clawson. Both of these women have incredible range and talent.

2) I would love to sing the song _________________. The National Anthem. At any sporting event. Because one usually gets free tickets. I'll even learn and memorize "O Canada". [Note: DH has been nagging me to do this for years. She's also been nagging me to go on Jeopardy ... haven't done that yet, either.]

3) It would be really cool to sing at ____________. See number 2! But it would also be cool to sing in certain spaces acoustically ... like the Capitol Dome, perhaps, or Grand Central Station. The Toronto subway has a certain appeal as well.

[That reminds me of a story. The director of the seminary choir I sang in once "crashed" a funeral taking place in the Roman Catholic cathedral in Monterrey, NL, Mexico when our choir was on tour there. During the service, he surreptitiously tested the room's acoustics by coughing! Not satisfied, he actually started periodically kicking the kneeler! Shameless!!!!! But oddly tempting to musicians like him and me and some of the RGBP's out there.]

4) If I could sing a dream duet it would be with ___________. Oh this one is tough. Melissa Ethridge, because I'd love to meet her in person. I'd love to sing with Emmy Lou Harris, Dolly Parton and Linda Ronstadt on one of their Trio recordings [silly me, I almost wrote "album"] but then that would be a quartet, wouldn't it? A man I would want to sing with? Vince Gill. Roy Orbison [but that would truly be a dream duet, wouldn't it?]

5) If I could sing on a TV or radio show, it would be __________________. Prairie Home Companion, on the same theory as number 2 above. Besides, then I might even "get discovered" --without having to endure Simon Cowell's nastiness.

8 Comments:

  • At 8:13 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Yes, let's definitely leave Simon out of this!

     
  • At 9:18 AM , Blogger Iris said...

    Oh- Emmy Lou, Dolly and Linda! I had forgotten about that!

     
  • At 10:03 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Graet play- and as for Simon Cowell- yuk!

     
  • At 11:42 AM , Blogger QuakerPastor said...

    Kudos...
    I like Linda too--what's she up to these days, I wonder.
    QP

     
  • At 11:42 AM , Blogger Deb said...

    I never thought about the singing the National Anthem... duh! Quaker Pastor and I will meet you to do a trio at an Ohio State game (I'd love tickets to that!)

    I like Judy Collins, too...
    deb

     
  • At 11:57 AM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Oh Deb!

    Let's make it next year's UM-Ohio State game shall we?

    QP, I am not sure, but I think the last thing Linda recorded was her Nelson Riddle CD ...

     
  • At 8:43 PM , Blogger 1-4 Grace said...

    Cool play and yes, singing at any sporting event would be cool because of the free ticks.
    I jsut think it woudl be cool to get ushered in and have everyone stop to listen to you.
    i dont always get that as a preacher!
    ANd cool news on Patsy Cline. I need to be pput in an iron lung.

     
  • At 9:10 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    I love Cynthia Clawson. I didn't think anybody else knew who she was.
    Good play. Good picks.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home