The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, April 13, 2007

An Al Dente Friday Five?

Reverendmother posts at Revgalblogpals:

Cheesehead and I are both laid up this week with various tooth maladies. This one's in honor of us:

1. Are you a regular patron of dentists' offices? Or, do you go
a) faithfully, as long as you have insurance, or
b) every few years or so, whether you need it or not, or
c) dentist? what is this "dentist" thing you speak of?

I go faithfully, when I have dental insurance. Right now, I don't have insurance --and my teeth really need a good cleaning. Pearly yellows just aren't the same as pearly whites.

2. Whatever became of your wisdom teeth?

Since they were double impacted, they were surgically removed when I was 16 in order to protect 5 years worth of orthodontistry. I think they were actually given to me and I kept them for awhile. Wonder if they're in that box with all of my high school stuff ...?

3. Favorite thing to eat that's BAAAAAD for your teeth.

Chocolate, perhaps? I dunno ...

4. Ever had oral surgery? Commiserate with me.

See #2. By the way, my incisions became infected, I ran a fever and had this indescribably nasty taste in my mouth. Antibiotics and warm salt water helped.

5. "I'd rather have a root canal than _________________."

I've never had a root canal ... but I think I would prefer experiencing a root canal to passing a kidney stone.

Bonus: Does your dentist recommend Trident?

Wouldn't matter if s/he did ... I had braces for five years and wore a retainer for two years, so I lost the habit of chewing gum. I'll take a stick of gum if breath mints aren't available, but as soon as the flavor is gone, so's the gum.

9 Comments:

  • At 7:24 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Good play- nasty wisdom teeth experience again- as for gum- I understand that one1 Nasty stuff.

     
  • At 7:24 AM , Blogger reverendmother said...

    Great answer to 5.

     
  • At 9:44 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    Ooooo....kidney stone. Good answer, or bad, whatever. I had not thought of that one.

     
  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Lori said...

    I can relate to that nasty taste in the mouth.

    Meanwhile while waiting for the insurance, I suggest you go buy a pack of Stimudents. Use the flat side down on your gums and go to town in between your teeth. It'll take out a lot of the plaque that your toothbrush and floss misses. The gums'll probably bleed at first, but that is really a good thing. Being a long time periodontic patient, I learned this the hard way.

     
  • At 11:00 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    Kidney stone--never thought of that one!

     
  • At 12:28 PM , Blogger Maria Tafoya said...

    Ah so that's why I rarely chew gum! Since the braces came off I also developed a slight lisp because my tongue now has to move further to make the S sound. Thtrange, huh?

     
  • At 1:26 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Once upon a time, after eating some particularly odiferous onion rings, I forgot I had my retainer in my mouth and started to chew some gum ... you ever try peeling half chewed Juicy Fruit off of a retainer?

     
  • At 5:57 PM , Blogger LadyBurg said...

    5 years! Yikes. I bet you have very pretty teeth.

    Kidney stones - that is a very good answer!

    LadyBurg - why, oh why won't blogger let me post as me?

     
  • At 6:09 PM , Blogger LadyBurg said...

    Hey! Look at me! I fixed it. I'm LadyBurg and now I can comment as LadyBurg on your blog. I'm so so excited.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home