The Quixotic Pastor

Saturday, April 21, 2007

RDQ Returns From Washington DC, Part 2

I am continuing to process my activist-pilgrimage to DeeCee last week for the Human Rights Campaign's Clergy Call to Justice. This is not procrastinating, by the way, because some of the thoughts I write/collect here will be included in my church newsletters.

I would be remiss in my comments if I did not share my excitement that one of our very own revgalblogpals, Rev. Debra Haffner, over at "Sexuality and Religion, What's The Connection?", was also one of the speakers at the Monday night rally. I am not "outting" her by sharing her name, since her blog is not anonymous, and I would encourage you to check out her comments as well.

Did any of the rest of you RGBP folk attend any of these events? Sing out and share!

So, here's a few details about the activist-pilgrimage to DC. While many denominational leaders were engaging in a press conference on capitol hill, five of us gathered at the airport and flew together to Baltimore. We caught the MARC to DC itself, walked through DC streets rolling our luggage to the place where we slept, a hostel. For $35 a night, you can't beat this as a place to stay. It is clean, comfortable and fun! Because of the bunk beds, and the shared restroom facilities, it reminds me of a standard college dormitory. We chatted with people from Germany, Australia, India as well as from different parts of the US. All the different accents, languages, speech patterns were delightful.

After we settled in, we went in search of food, and discovered a wonderful Indian restaurant that featured a lunch buffet. Then we returned to the hostel and napped. We took the Metro, DC's subway system [I think I could navigate that system now without the guidance of Kator and Drood, but being from Texas, it took me awhile to catch on to the mysteries of mass transit and I am sooo glad they were there] over to All Soul's Unitarian Universalist Church, where a rally was held and we heard from many gifted speakers. It was a beautiful service, encompassing many faith traditions, various strains of Christianity, Judaism, Islam, Hinduism, encompassing many orientations, gay, straight, trans, bi-or pan-sexual, many genders. The worship space was spacious and simple, yet lovely --and a great room in which to sing! There was much music from many different traditions, a hymn for the UU hymnal to contemporary Christian to black gospel to secular protest music.

We left to return to our home away from home, stopping at the drugstore and an Irish Pub on the way for supplies and sustenance. We drank good English Pub type beer on tap while Kator conducted a radio interview with a radio show out of British Columbia on the CBC about a totally different subject on her cell phone. She's really rather an amazing woman, and I am so blessed that I know, work with and learn from her. Eventually, Kator was able to join us for beer and shared appetizers.

We returned to our home away from home, ready to sleep ... and sleep we did.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home