The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, May 04, 2007

Friday Five: It's My Party [And I'll Cry If I Want To]

Over at the RGBP site, Songbird writes: "I hate to say it, but over the years I've been to too many parties where I, or the birthday child, has felt much like the chorus of Lesley Gore's old tune. I am therefore not the biggest fan of birthday parties. For this Friday, tell us these five things about parties, birthday or otherwise."

1) Would you rather be the host or the guest?

I enjoy both of those roles. DH loves to entertain, far more than I do, but we don't get to do that as much as we'd like. We have spent quite a bit of time this past winter transforming our basement into a party area, with lots of seating as well as a bar.

2) When you are hosting, do you clean everything up the minute the guests go home? Will you accept help with the dishes?

We usually don't clean immediately after parties unless there are major messes. We do accept help with putting leftovers away and so forth. But DH will bust butt --hers and mine-- to be as prepared as possible prior to guests arriving. She cleans, I prepare food and drink.

3) If you had the wherewithal, and I guess I mean more than money, to throw a great theme party, what would the theme be?

I'd love to do one of those Murder Mystery Dinner Theatre Games. We've done two of those at one of my churches, and those can be an absolute blast. DH is really good about coming up with themes. We like to host dances too --but we've got to make the sound system downstairs work better for us, so that other people can bring music they like to dance to.

4) What's the worst time you ever had at a party?

When I was a very young 20-something, I went to one of my older brother's parties. One of the guests who had had too much to drink thought another guest was hitting on his wife and made an attempt to stab him with a large knife from the kitchen. Fortunately, my brother is a vigilant host and had help to intervene ... no blood was shed, apollogies were issued, etc etc ... but it was awhile before I went to another party. It was a pretty traumatizing event. I was told I was actually the one that picked up the knife and put it away, but I have never remembered doing that. It was awhile before he hosted another party, too.

5) And to end on a brighter note, what was the best?

Hmm. Well there was a dinner and dance party at the Masonic Temple in River City hosted by Rainbow Pastor's church before RP's tenure there. The room had a wonderful dance floor and they had an excellent DJ and DH and I had just a fabulous time dancing the night away. I hope y'all do that again some time, RP --hint, hint, hint.

DH's nephew, before his brother's death, used to host some wonderful halloween parties. DH and I went to the last one, each dressed in matching outfits as Spartans, complete with facial hair, armor, swords, shields, helmets, sandals. Afterwards, we went in costume to a local diner for breakfast ... that was fun too.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:31 PM , Blogger Mary Beth said...

    Oh, my! I would't go to another party for a long time, either!!!!

     
  • At 10:32 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Gosh, your #4 is really scary! Glad everyone was allright, but I would be with you about attending parties after that.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home