The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, February 27, 2009

The Fork In The Road Friday Five

Singing Owl from Revgalblogpals shares:

"I am at a life-changing juncture. I do not know which way I will go, but I have been thinking about the times, people and events that changed my life (for good or ill) in significant ways. For today's Friday Five, share with us five "fork-in-the-road" events, or persons, or choices. And how did life change after these forks in the road?"

1. Age 19 --Professed my faith in Jesus Christ for the first time and became a Christian, instead of an Agnostic. Started on a path of discipleship, which changed my life in many not-so-obvious ways and at least one BIG way because ...

2. Age 21 --Said YES my call to ordained ministry and began exploring ordination. Changed my major in college from engineering to mathematics so I could pick up some more appropriate courses without having to start over again completely. Began candidacy/formation in the United Methodist Church, started seminary, ordained a Deacon in 1988, graduated seminary 1990, ordained an Elder 1991.

3. Age 30 --Came out as a lesbian [without any advance warning] to my district superintendent and bishop, resigned my credentials for ordination and moved my church membership to an MCC congregation in Dallas --all in the same month. That was one BIG fork in the road, let me tell you ... but also a way in which I said YES to God.

4. Age 34 --Began the process of having my ordination reaffirmed in MCC, because "the gifts and the calling of God are irrevocable" and She is persistent in grace and love.

5. Age 35 --Met DH, the woman who would become my life partner. Moved with her to Michigan about a year and a half later, where our life together and my ministry has taken some interesting turns ...

2 Comments:

  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Wow what a route you've taken, may the journey forward be filled with blessings.

     
  • At 7:43 PM , Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

    Wow! Thank you so much for playing, and for your honest answers. Blessings in ministry--and every other way too!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home