The Quixotic Pastor

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

NOT Pouring Down the Drain Day After All

Yes, I know that I reported that last Friday was Pouring Down The Drain Day for my first batch of homebrew beer, but I didn't actually pour anything down the drain other than the two bottles I opened to sample, in the interest of having enough time to brew a second batch. [I am nothing if not persistent ...]

Just for grins, today I went down and got another bottle and opened it, just to see whether it tasted any better.

IT DID! It still has some lemony taste to it, but there's a definite improvement. I wouldn't share it with anyone just yet, but it is drinkable. The carbonation is better also, and it formed a much nicer head when I poured it into the glass. Perhaps when I sampled it last Friday, it was still too "green" --in this instance, patience may certainly prove to be a virtue.

It might taste better still when appropriately chilled. I think I will go put a bottle or two on our enclosed back porch, which in this weather is currently functioning as a very large walk-in refrigerator. Then sometime tonight I'll have another taste.

In the meantime, I have a batch of English style Brown Ale in the primary fermenter, currently at about 3% alcohol, which this Friday I will rack off into the secondary fermenter. Secondary fermentation should go about 10 days, then this second batch will be ready to bottle. That would make 2nd Batch Bottling Day ...... uhhhhhh.... Monday 26 February.

Good thing I have more bottles!!!

3 Comments:

  • At 7:26 AM , Blogger QuakerPastor said...

    I have responded to your query on my weblog...
    thanks for asking!
    peace out QP

     
  • At 5:43 PM , Blogger Rainbow Pastor said...

    Oh, hey. that is outstanding--you don't have to toss it all after all.

    Tonight I'm trying a new brew--Sleeman's India Pale Ale.

    Sleeman's, if you haven't met it before, is a medium to better grade of Canadian beer that does try to vary its offerings.

    We'll see...

     
  • At 11:34 AM , Blogger LutheranChik said...

    Good luck with the experiment! Every so often I find myself in Eastman Party store, looking at their various brew-your-own equipment, thinking, "That might be fun..." And then I blink hard, so the thought goes away.;-) (I tried the sourdough thing many years ago, and it was not a pleasant experience.)

    Oh...just discovered a new brew pub over in Ludington -- Jamesport Pub. They brew about 10 kinds of beer/ale...a lot of brown...I had their IPA, and it was very good.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home