The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, February 15, 2008

Friday Five: The Water and The Word

Rev H Rod shares this timely Friday Five:

In this Sunday's gospel Nicodemus asks Jesus, "How can anyone be born after having grown old? Can one enter a second time into the mother's womb and be born?" Poor old Nicodemus! He was so confused about the whole "water and Spirit" business of baptism.
For today's five, tell us about your baptismal experiences.

When and where were you baptized? Do you remember it? Know any interesting tidbits?
1st time as an infant, St. Augustine RC Church, Dallas, Texas
2nd time as a young adult by a UM pastor whom I now wish would have told me that rebaptism was unnecessary and helped me find a way to remember my baptism and confirm my faith instead.

What's the most unexpected thing you've ever witnessed at a baptism?
There was the time in seminary when one of the worship classes arranged for an infant baptism to take place during chapel. Because there was no font, the baptism was to happen in a brand spanking new, bright and shiny metal washtub, set up on a table. Pouring the water in the font was a part of the ritual ... which created a highly suggestive sound that everyone immediately recognized. We laughed ... then several of us made a dash for the restrooms.

Does your congregation have any special traditions surrounding baptisms?
A former congregation in the DFW area of which I was a part always had service at a nearby lake the Sunday of Labor Day weekend. The service always featured at least one baptism by immersion in the lake.

Are you a godparent or baptismal sponsor? Have a story to tell? Neither experience for me.

Do you have a favorite baptismal song or hymn?
"Child of Blessing, Child of Promise" sung to Stuttgart

BONUS: I practiced for my first infant baptism with my roommate's Shitzu, reasoning that she [the dog, not the roommate] was dressed in white, about the right weight, squirmed a lot and was kind of difficult to hold on to, just like a baby in a satiny baptismal gown. That was before I practiced with the infant himself.

8 Comments:

  • At 11:42 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    I was baptised twice too, but for me it was a change in theology- ...now I have swung back and would encourage confimration in some way....
    Great play

     
  • At 12:16 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    I've "poured" water several times at baptisms... and I'm always glad when it's over. The sound just gets to me. :)

     
  • At 1:11 PM , Blogger RevHRod said...

    Okay, that is the funniest story of the day so far. You baptized the dog! Are dogs by nature sinful and unclean?

    Thanks for playing!

     
  • At 3:18 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    HRod, I didn't actually baptize the dog, I just went thru the motions as if I were going to.

     
  • At 5:55 PM , Blogger Mary Beth said...

    Hahahaha

    you baptised the dog!!

     
  • At 5:59 PM , Blogger Auntie Knickers said...

    Love the story about the dog, I'll have to suggest that to my daughter-the-seminarian. Her girlfriend has a Chihuahua and a mastiff. Wonder which one she'll choose to practice with?

     
  • At 6:53 AM , Blogger Processing Counselor said...

    Glad you liked the poem. I'm sorry I missed this Friday Five. I can't blog from work. Damn that NYSED! And bless the dog

     
  • At 4:44 PM , Blogger LutheranChik said...

    When I was a child I attempted to baptize both my dog and my cats. The dog good-naturedly put up with it; the cats not so much.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home