The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, September 15, 2006

Famous Friday Five: Brushes With Greatness

Ooooh boy, after yesterday do I need this!

Reverendmother wrote... In the coming days, I'll be meeting my creative/artistic role model--a singer-songwriter who has been a part of my spiritual journey for some 10 years now. I'm psyched!

David Letterman used to have a feature on his show called "Brushes with Greatness." Members of the audience would share stories of encounters with famous people. And so...

1. Tell us about a time you met someone famous.

I felt priveleged to shake the hand of Bishop Gene Robinson at a gathering almost two years ago near Detroit. He's famous whether he wants to be or not, bless his heart.

2. Tell us about a celebrity you'd like to meet.

Melissa Etheridge, because she seems so grounded and down to earth. Garrison Keillor. Lance Armstrong.

3. Tell us about someone great who's *not* famous that you think everyone oughta have a chance to meet.

Hmmm, that's a difficult one. I tend to think there's lots of great people out there ...

4. Do you have any autographs of famous people?

Maybe not famous people, but people who matter to me and have been instrumental in my life's journey. I would like to get an autograph from certain Detroit Pistons, Tigers or Redwings for DH --it would absolutely make her day, and I would score major points!

5. If you were to become famous, what would you want to become famous for?

I don't want to be famous --I would rather be influential, which doesn't necessarily require fame. I want to remembered for improving people's lives, whether it is helping to win civil and ecclesial rights for GLBT people or working to change the current politics of our country by creating other viable political parties besides Democrat and Republican ... and addressing some other issues as well.

Bonus: Whose 15 minutes of fame was up long, long ago?

I certainly agree about Paris Hilton. I also thought John Mark Karr received wa-a-a-y-y-y more attention that was warranted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home