The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, September 01, 2006

Friday Five: Life In The Fast Lane

My prayers for Will Smama, and yes, in lieu of flowers, I'll play Friday Five just 'cuz .... it'll be my first time!

1. Driving: an enjoyable way to clear the mind? a means to an end? a chance to be quiet with one's thoughts? a necessary evil? the downfall of our planet and its fossil fuels? Discuss.

All of the above, depending on where I'm driving, where I'm going and so forth. I don't think driving has to be the downfall of the planet, especially with the new developments around bio-diesel and gasoline that's mostly alcohol. Remember, you can make alcohol out of almost anything organic [and people have! And then they actually drink it] so maybe in a decade or so, our vehicles will be running on "moonshine" or "bathtub gin" --or my late uncle's peach wine recipe.

2. Do you drive the speed limit? A little faster? Slower? Have you ever gotten a ticket? I usually drive about 2-3 miles above the posted speed limit --I used to drive a little faster, but I got a ticket I couldn't take a safety course to get out of ... bummer.

3. Do you take public transportation? When? What's your opinion of the experience? Public transport is great when I can read or otherwise utilize the time ... I try to sit next to someone else who has books and earphones. I have had at least one frightening encounter with someone on a bus, so I am very careful about who I sit near.

4. Complete this sentence: _____________ has the worst drivers I've ever experienced.

Houston, Texas

5. According to the Census Bureau, reverendmother's fair city has the 6th longest average commute in the United States at 29 minutes each way. How does your personal commute rate?

It's longer, but probably easier and more pleasant most of the time ... most of the places I drive, the most dangerous thing on the road is a deer!

Bonus for the brutally honest: It has been said, and the MythBusters have confirmed, that cell phones can impede driving ability almost as much as drinking. Do you talk on a cell phone while driving? Uh hunh. But never in bad weather or bad traffic. Usually only briefly. If it needs to be a long or involved conversation I pull over someplace.

1 Comments:

  • At 10:57 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Good driving habits, except for the ticket. Maybe its a good thing that it got you to slow down, but hey look at mine, I have had several tickets, and er accidents.
    LOL I do not know how you drive in Houston, I make Bob drive when we go through there.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home