The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, September 22, 2006

Friday Five

Here's the latest Friday Five from Revgalblogpals: on BooBoos!

1) Are you a baby about small injuries? Nope, not in the least, I'm a stoic --except, why does a paper cut hurt more than so many other bigger things?

2) What's the silliest way you have ever hurt yourself? Oh dear, there are so many to choose from:
a. When I was a very little girl, I was running in the house with one of those small paintbrushes in my mouth, like the kind they use to paint model airplanes. Of course, I fell on my face, and the paintbrush was impaled into the back of my throat. My mother convinced me to stop crying, laid me on my back across her lap, made me open my mouth wide, examined me ... and just pulled it out. No big deal after all.
b. I burned my knees once when a plate full of hot ravioli slid off the plate in my lap onto my thighs when I sat down in one of the chairs in the living room. I cried then, but because I was angry at my brother and Dad, both of whom laughed!!!!
c. I was roasting a mershmallow at the gas stove on a fork. After I had eaten the marshmallow, without thinking I attempted to lick the fork ... I actually heard my flesh sizzle when the tines contacted my lower lip ...

3) Who took care of your boo-boos when you were a child? Generally my mother, with neither too little nor too much fuss. My dad and older brothers had a favorite saying: "Oh I've had bigger places than that on my eyeball." That's probably why I am such a stoic.

4) Are you a good nurse when others have boo-boos? I generally do pretty well, except that I do not tolerate whining well at all.

5) What's the worst accidental injury you've suffered? Did it require a trip to the Emergency Room? I've made three trips to the emergency room in my life, once after a car accident and two due to knee injuries. The car accident was probably the worst. At 16, I rear-ended a pinto in my mother's VW beetle, and my forehead hit the rearview mirror so hard it bent it back into the windshield which shattered! I was a bloody mess. It's a miracle I didn't crack my [extremely hard] skull, but I have this crescent shaped scar in the center of my forehead from the gash, which required 14 stitches. No concussion either. Amazin'

3 Comments:

  • At 7:54 PM , Blogger Marie said...

    Wow! 14 stitches! You're my hero!

     
  • At 7:33 PM , Blogger Reverend Dona Quixote said...

    Aw shucks ma'am, 'twarnt nuthin but a hard head! [No heroism here ... just a thick skull.]

     
  • At 7:58 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Welll Dona you sure have had some bumps and bruises, its a wonder you amde it through child hood, and especially after you car accident. No wonder you are stoic.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home