The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, February 23, 2007

Friday Five: Companions on the Way

Dante had Virgil as a guide. Before he had younger siblings, my oldest child had an imaginary friend named Patrick. Betsy had Tacy. Laura Ingalls depended on her brindle bulldog, Jack. All of them were companions on the way. As we take the beginning steps of our journey through Lent, who would we take as a companion? Name five people, real or imaginary, you might like to have with you as guide or guardian or simply good friend. Thanks to Jonah for suggesting this week's theme!

Hmmmm. Thinking about my present Lenten journey [which in some ways began almost 2 years ago at our General Conference, and then really got rolling after our most recent Regional Conference this past November] there are actually 3 people whom I have chosen or whom others have chosen for me. Two of those people are groups ...

1. All you revgalblogpals are my cloud of witnesses, my balcony people cheering me on as I run the race that I am called to run. You I have chosen. I count on you more than you perhaps know. I have no clue what most of you look like. But your souls are beautiful --and that is all I need to see. And your witness is extraordinary!

2. A particular group of MCC clergy and supportive laity who share a particular journey and purpose at this time. This group has been chosen for me, but I am glad that it is so. Their collective blog name shall be called Captains Courageous.

3. My DH, my Dear Heart. We chose each other just over 8 years ago, [or did God choose her for me? She appeared to me in a dream six months before we met ...] to live the journey of life together. Sometimes that journey is easy sailing, sometimes it's like the last 2,000 feet of climbing Mt. Everest ... but I would not choose differently, even knowing what I know now.

Now for a couple of people I've never actually met in person, but wish I could ...

4. Madeleine L'Engle. 'Nuff said.

5. Meister Eckhart. [Ah, but if I chose Matthew Fox I could in a way meet Eckhart, Julian, Hildegarde, Teresa ....]

I am suddenly feeling like I'm on an H&R Block commercial: "I got people." Does this mean I can throw away my bills?

11 Comments:

  • At 7:10 AM , Blogger Unknown said...

    Love your choices!

     
  • At 7:43 AM , Blogger Maria Tafoya said...

    Now that I have met your Five I can start selecting my own. I also love L'Engel. :-)

     
  • At 7:57 AM , Blogger Rachel said...

    Great stuff. Fabulous aha (!) moment about Mattew Fox. Blessings.

     
  • At 8:13 AM , Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

    Me too. Especially #1. Wow! :-)

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Blogger Jonah said...

    A friend met Madeline L'Engle, and reports she is very similar to her published personality.

     
  • At 10:33 AM , Blogger Iris said...

    I love all of your posts above. Thanks for sharing.

     
  • At 11:37 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Great list- and yes it is so good to have the fellowship of revgals!

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Mary Beth said...

    Ah, yes, M L'E. Definitely a great one.

     
  • At 7:29 PM , Blogger Lori said...

    Great choices. Thanks.

    "Does this mean I can throw away my bills?"

    only the duck bills, the Clinton and the O'Reilly when he bloviates ;)

     
  • At 1:40 PM , Blogger Rainbow Pastor said...

    I wish I could have had about twenty hundred (as my son used to say when he was small) companions for this meme--I would have included several of yours as well.

    Captains Courageous...I like it.

     
  • At 7:15 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

    Good call on L'Engle!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home