The Quixotic Pastor

Friday, February 23, 2007

The Best Thing I Ever Gave Up For Lent

First, here's a warning:

Unabashedly Queer Content follows in this posting. If you are looking for the Friday Five, scroll down a posting or two ...

... but if you are curious, read on.

Lent of 1999 I gave up .................................................................................................Women.

Yup, that's right. This lesbian gave up women for Lent.

Please don't misunderstand me. It isn't like there were a lot of them to give up! I suppose to be accurate, I should say that I gave up worrying and lamenting about being single and handed that off to God, but it's much more fun to say I gave up women.

Because what happens when you give up something for Lent?

Opportunities to enjoy what you gave up suddenly appear and loom larger than they did before, yes?

So, Lent of 1999 I gave up .......................................................................................... Women.

And what happened?

The Friday after Ash Wednesday of that year, when I was hosting an event called "Film --Not Fish-- on Friday", I met my Dear Heart for the first time, because someone had invited her for a "non-churchy" church event ...

The Monday after Easter that year we had our first date ... and we have been together in some form ever since. This past Monday was what we consider our 8th anniversary, the day we first met.

I hope you don't think that I cheapened Lent in some way in doing what I did in 1999 ... actually that decision was the outcome of a series of events [including the dream I mentioned in the Friday Five posting] so I truly believe the entire thing was inspired --"God-breathed".

In the meantime, I think DH is still trying to figure out why God [as she understands Her] saddled her with a preacher .... particularly since DH hadn't given up ANYTHING for Lent ...

3 Comments:

  • At 9:06 PM , Blogger LadyBurg said...

    I love it! Funny how things happen, huh!?

    LadyBurg

     
  • At 6:11 PM , Blogger Dorcas (aka SingingOwl) said...

    Laughing at that last paragraph...

     
  • At 11:04 AM , Blogger Dr. Laura Marie Grimes said...

    What a beautiful story! I met my personal Dear Heart, in Advent after swearing off dating for a year the previous Valentine's Day. (Okay, so I didn't make the whole year). I made a conscious choice to get my love and affirmation from God first and get grounded in that to make a healthy relationship possible, and it worked. From his point of view he met me in December of our second year of grad school, the perfect timing to fit his longstanding goal/intuition that in his third year he would marry --a woman who would bring him back to the church, no less, though we didn't know for a long time that meant I would be a preacher too.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home